Please pass this around. [link]
Art is Resistance Renegade Art Show 2007
This not your every day art show. It isn't being held in your every day art gallery.
We are now taking submissions of art for the Art is Resistance Renegade Art Show to open July 28th in an abandoned building in Buffalo, NY. The location will not be made public until a week before the show. Artists and other participants will be notified when work is submitted. Submissions will be divided into 2 main categories: general and resistance/activism.
Some things you should know first:
- The inspiration for this show came from the "World of Year Zero" created by Trent Reznor to support nine inch nails' new album "Year Zero", and specifically from the associated website artisresistance.com.
- We are NOT nine inch nails. We are NOT associated with nine inch nails in any way. This is NOT part of the Year Zero ARG. We are just fans who were inspired to contribute in a small way to the idea of the ARG.
- This show will open on a specific day in July and run until the art is stolen or ruined. I repeat, the art is to remain up indefinitely. Please keep reading if you are interested in participating but not willing to let your work remain in the building.
- The show will take place in a long abandoned building, which creates a very unique atmosphere in comparison to boring stale galleries of established art spaces. The building is not overly dangerous, however anyone planning to attend the show enters the building at their own risk. We are not responsible for any injury that may occur, please visit, but please use caution. The building will have no electricity and no water keep this in mind if your piece requires either.
- Due to nature of the location the organizers wish to remain anonymous at this point in time.
- The show is free, there is no submission fee, and we are not selling any of the works. All expenses are out of pocket, and because of this, we are not able to return any work unless self addressed stamped packaging is included.
We are looking for submissions of art of any and all forms photography, painting, drawing, computer generated graphics/art, sculpture, site related installations, performance art, dance, music, etc. As stated above, the building will have no electricity or water, please keep this in mind if your work requires either. We are hoping to collect an eclectic mixture of work.
Because of the nature of the space we will be unable to hang work that is in large heavy frames. We are asking that work be sent matted only. Mattes can be purchased at local stores like Target and Walmart, and craft stores like Michaels and AC Moore.
We would like only reproductions to be included in the show, as ideally the work is to remain up indefinitely. Photographic prints, professional reproductions, even photocopies, will all be accepted. IF YOU WISH TO SUBMIT ORIGINAL WORK AND/OR REQUIRE ITS RETURN please include self addressed stamped packaging with a description of the piece so we can return it to you. If you are a local artist you can deliver and retrieve your work at any time.
- Resistance/Activism: In the theme of artisresistance.com and the Year Zero ARG submissions in this category should address some sort of political, environmental, pro/anti-war, pro/anti-globalization etc theme. Do you have a cause? We'll take it. Fighting an oppressor? We'll take it. Against the government? We'll take it. Use your imagination, it's a very broad and loose category. In this category we will also accept art relating directly to artisresistance.com and Year Zero however we are looking for creative pieces and not just "fan art".
- General: You don't create political art? Cool neither do we. Anything that does not fit into the resistance/activism category goes here.
Please fill out and return the form below through postal mail, myspace [link]
, or email email@example.com before the show. We would like to have an idea about how much work we should expect. Your work can remain anonymous if you like, or you can provide contact details, web addresses etc on the back of the piece. Work and forms should be sent to:
Art is Resistance PO Box 1330 North Tonawanda, NY 14120 USA
If you are a "local" artist you can choose to deliver and hang the work yourself on the date of the opening, or you can send it to us through USPS. If you do not want your work to hang indefinitely you can retrieve it at any time. Please let us know your intent to participate even if you plan on hanging your own work.
If you are a national/international artist who cannot attend please send the work through postal mail.
Any plans for a performance piece or site specific installation please contact us for details of the show location, and let us know your intent to participate.
As stated above, if you require your work to be returned please include self addressed stamped packaging and a description of your work so we can return it to you.
We will accept submissions until we leave our houses to set up the day of the opening.
IMPORTANT: Again, we must stress that work will not be returned unless self addressed stamped packaging is included. Work will remain up for viewing until it is retrieved, stolen, or destroyed. We cannot be responsible for reimbursement or replacement of lost, stolen, or damaged items and the exhibit is not insured.
Full Name: __________________________
State: __________ Zip: _____________
Category that works to be submitted will fall under (check all that apply).
We will be using myspace for the majority of communications and advertisement at this point. Please add us if you want to stay updated and/or plan on participating. Spread the word.
Questions, comments, concerns, advice, want to help? Don't hesitate to contact us at any time. We're new at this, and suggestions are welcome.